Senior QA Engineer (Software & Robotics)
United Kingdom, London, City of, LondonEngineering
At BotsAndUs, we believe that real time data will revolutionise the logistics industry. We are building the ultimate data insights platform that provides companies with unprecedented, real time access to their operations. Our autonomous data capturing technology and insights generation capabilities help to measure, track and find goods across warehouses in real time, while building the ultimate digital twin of facilities.
Join us at a very exciting time of growth as we’re significantly ramping up all areas of the business to lead the way in logistics data globally, backed by some of Europe’s best VCs and driven by passion, curiosity and teamwork.
We value humility and we're as interested in your character as we are in your talent. Please apply, even if you feel you only meet part of our listed criteria. Diversity drives innovation and we offer an international and friendly work environment with an energetic company culture.
As a Software Development Engineer In Test, you will be responsible for understanding, testing, and reporting on the behaviour of our automated robotics platform. You will be hands-on with robot hardware, immerse yourself in areas where you may not have formal education, and be eager to learn about all parts of the systems at BotsAndUs. An SDET must have strong programming and system level testing skills, and will play a vital role in the company’s ability to successfully deliver high-quality robotic solutions to customers around the world.
You will contribute to the team in a variety of ways, including:
- Automating existing manual test procedures, with a focus on quality, repeatability, and data-driven results
- Collaborating with software engineers on developing complex test software
- Testing and validating the performance and operation of the software stack
- Diagnosing and troubleshooting errors on individual robots
- Tracking, identifying and communicating software and hardware bugs
- Verifying the test results and maintaining the continuous testing and integration systems
- Participating in team-wide code and architecture reviews
You will need:
- 4+ years of experience with hardware and software testing
- Good knowledge of the Linux platform
- Experience building tests using a variety of testing frameworks and languages.
- Experience in managing, executing, monitoring and troubleshooting tests
- Experience writing documentation for test protocols, results, and reports
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and teamworking skills
It would also be helpful to have:
- Previous experience with robotics or ROS (the Robot Operating System)
- Robotics simulation, particularly with Gazebo
- Specific experience with C++, Python, and shell scripting
- Familiarity with embedded hardware and sensors (2D/3D Lidars, IMUs, and cameras).
- Experience with continuous delivery and continuous integration of software platforms
- You’ll work on a variety of different projects as we continue to build our platform. To give you an idea of what kind of work you’ll be doing, some recent projects our team has worked on include:
- Building an automated testing system which runs nightly simulated tests against the robot’s code
- Designing and building a virtual environment representative of real spaces in which the robot navigates, in order to provide a basis for simulated tests
- Updating an existing test suite to use modern C++ concepts to improve the performance and stability of the system
As a company, we’re still in the start-up phase of our life – we’re a small VC-funded team, but we have a great platform in an advanced stage of development. You’ll play a significant role in shaping the future of our products, culture, and engineering team.
We are a diverse, remote-friendly team – the robotics-focused nature of this specific role will require frequent time on-site at our office and workshop space in London, but all of our teams routinely work remotely as well. We have flexible working hours – as a hardware startup we have occasional important deadlines and site visits, but work-life balance is important to us, and we strive to keep disruption to a minimum
You’ll receive a market-rate salary, stock options, and whatever equipment you need, as well as an annual training and conference budget. We use loads of open-source software, and we’d love for you to contribute to projects while you are here – and you’re welcome to take some time for personal projects too.
BotsAndUs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. It prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, colour, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.